Cassie Blake (born March 28, 1995) is the main female character and protagonist of The Secret Circle. She is the daughter of Amelia Blake and John Blackwell, the best friend and the paternal older half-sister of Diana Meade, and the paternal older half-sister of Four unknown half-siblings, the ex-girlfriend and best friend of Adam Conant, and also a member and the leader of the Chance Harbor Circle.
Cassie was a happy, normal teenage girl until her mother Amelia died in what appeared to be a tragic accidental fire but not such as an accident. Orphaned and deeply saddened, Cassie moved in with her warm and loving grandmother Jane in the beautiful small town of Chance Harbor, Washington - the town her mother left so many years before - where the residents seems to know more about Cassie than she does about herself. As Cassie gets to know her high school classmates, including sweet-natured Diana, her handsome boyfriend Adam, brooding loner Nick, mean-girl Faye and her sidekick Melissa, strange and frightening things begin to happen. When her new friends explain that they are all descended from powerful witches, and they've been waiting for Cassie to join them and complete a new generation of the Secret Circle, Cassie refuses to believe them - until Adam shows her how to unlock her incredible magical powers. But it's not until Cassie discovers a message from her mother in an old leather-bound book of spells hidden in her mother's childhood bedroom, that she understands her true and dangerous destiny. What Cassie and the others don't yet know is that darker powers are at play, powers that might be linked to the adults in the town, including Diana's father and Faye's mother - and that Cassie's mother's death might not have been an accident. But the more time passes by, the more Cassie gets confident of herself and develops her incredible potential.
Cassie Blake was born on March 28, 1995 to Amelia Blake and John Blackwell. Shortly before Cassie's birth, John betrayed Amelia by having an affair with Elizabeth Meade which resulted in her half-sister Diana Meade being born less than a month later. John also summoned demons which resulted in Amelia leaving him prior to the events of the Boatyard Fire. Sara Armstrong stated in the Witness flashback that Amelia would never forgive John for what he did to her and that Amelia helped Ethan in the plot to kill John which backfired and led to the death of hal the members of the Circle. Later consumed by guilt and stripped of her magic, Amelia abandoned what was left her coven by moving to Los Angeles with Cassie. Amelia had to keep witchcraft and Cassie's magic legacy along with the truth about her father a secret from her daughter prior to her death in Pilot.
Main Article: Cassie Blake/Season One
Despite Cassie's independent and strong-willed personality, she is a very kind and loving young woman who cares deeply about her family and friends. When she uses dark magic she is seen with an evil look in her eyes.
At any rate, it seems grief mold her personality in more ways than one. First her mother died and the loss, along with the realization she will have to start doing things on her own, made her tougher. Then her grandmother died and she channeled all the anger she felt against the witch hunters. Her use of Dark Magic also began to take a hold on her, making her more short-temperd and more willing to kill then to listen to both sides.
Cassie Blake is well-known for her beautifully long blonde hair, heart-shaped face, full lips and ocean-blue eyes. She's petite and not very tall, standing at 5' 2½. At the beginning of the series she wore more colorful clothing but as her dark magic was revealed she slowly began wearing more grey and black clothing.
Powers and Abilities
Main Article: Cassie Blake/Relationships
- Cassandra is a female proper name that comes from Greek Kasandra or Kassandra.
- Cassandra was the daughter of Priam of Troy, courted by Apollo who gave her the gift of prophecy, but she did not love him so he turned his gift top her into a curse, so that no one would believe her visions.
- The name is of uncertain origin, though the second element looks like a female form of Greek andros "of man, male human being". Watkins suggest PIE * (s)kand- "to shine" as source of second element, hence possible "praise of men".
- It is believed that it means "to shine", "man" and "shining upon man".
- Her middle name, Amelia, means "work", and is a varient of Amalia. A famous person who was also named Amelia, was Amelia Earhart (1897-1937), the first woman to make a solo flight over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Her last name, Blake, is derived from Old English blæc "black" or blāc "pale". A famous person whos last name was also Blake was the poet and artist William Blake (1757-1827).
Notes and Trivia
- Britt Robertson was casted as Cassie Blake because Kevin Williamson was impressed by her performance in Scream 4.
- Coincidentally, Britt Robertson stared in a movie which had the word "Circle" in the title, The Tenth Circle, before starring in The Secret Circle.
- She's the last witch to complete the coven of the third generation. Ironically, if Cassie would have lived in Chance Harbor since her birth, she would have surely been the female leader of the Circle, instead of Diana Meade, as her grandmother said the Blakes were always born leaders.
- She is a descendant from two very powerful families. The Balcoin family, from which comes her inner Dark Magic, and the Blake family, which makes her part of the Circle.
- Cassandra is a Greek name meaning "daughter of prophecies". Although Cassie from the series does not possess the power to foresee the future, Cassie from the novels does.
- In the first season of The Secret Circle, Cassie has been involved in three car accidents. In Pilot, she had two car accidents, first being when Charles used magic to make one of her car tires run out of air. The second time was when Faye used her magic to set Cassie's car on fire while she was still inside of it. And in Valentine, when Cassie was on her way over to Adam's, one of the Ghosts attracted the Blackwell Medallion toward him and made Cassie lose control of her car trying to free herself from the Medallion.
- In Crystal, Royce Armstrong has Cassie's birthdate listed as March 28, 1995. This makes her less than a month older than Diana.
- Both Cassie and Adam were born on the day 28th making Cassie is two months younger than him. Also in the books they were almost a year apart since Cassie's birthday fell on July 28 while Adam was born in November the year before.
- Diana is Cassie's half-sister which is reveal in Crystal. They both lost their virginity to former ex-boyfriend, Adam Conant.
- She was caught in a love triangle between Jake and Adam, finally choosing Adam.
- The Blake's and the Conant's are destined to be together.
- Cassie is one of six children in a powerful Balcoin Circle.
- Her zodiac sign is also Aries (Mar 22-Apr 20), like that of her half-sister Diana Mead. The symbol of Aries is the ram, its element is fire, and its ruling planet is Mars. Aries is most compatible with someone who is eitherLeo or Sagittarius.
|This gallery shows four pictures, randomly selected, related to the subject of this article.|
A more complete gallery can be found here. Any future additions should be added there as well.