Charles is a member of the Meade family.
Season OneIn Pilot, Charles was responsible for Amelia Blake's death by fire using a magic crystal because he no longer has magic. Later in the episode Charles seems to have a scheme planned with Dawn Chamberlain.
In Bound, after Dawn learns he used magic on Ethan Conant from her father-in-law, she demands he gives her the crystal, not to waste his power.
In Loner, Charles and Zachary Larson had a fight concerning the latter's plan to destroy the Circle, but without magic, Charles is beaten, and his opponent goes away to kill Cassie Blake. However he fails to do so he and Dawn run him out of town.In Slither, Charles, after getting a phone call from Dawn kills Nick Armstrong who is possessed by the Demon, Abaddon by drowning him at the end of the ordeal he's noticebly shaken and runs away when with Dawn when he hears Cassie and Jane approaching.
In Wake, after being forced by Dawn to killed Nick Armstrong who was possessed by the demon, Abaddon in the episode Slither. Charles is haunted by his guilt at Nick's wake and confused Nick's brother Jake for him. Later on Charles told Dawn he wouldn't like let another event like Nick happen.Beneath, he hides Dawn's dead Father In Law Henry Chamberlain who she killed in Bound in a lake near his house in Pine Lake. So no-one would find him, but Cassie finds him with help from Fayes memories.
In Balcoin, he sees concerned for Jane at the town dance when he realizes he messed up erasing Jane's memory.
In Masked as she thinks He and Dawn are teenagers and that her daughter Amelia is still alive and is her grandmother Cassie. It's presumed he had a hand in helping Jane get out of town for her "Early On-Set Dementia" because he's showed with remorse.In Darkness, his mother comes to town which causes halts on Charles and Dawn's plan.Later on his mother tells him she knows he has magic from a crystal as she knows his imprint on magic and warns him not to lose him to the darkness of witchcraft. In the same episode Cassie comes and lives with the Medea's for a short while until the episode Return when Cassie returns to her house clamming she needs to get the house ready for when Jane comes back. Charles is seen looking worried over this as he was the one who send Jane to the doctors in the first place. Crystal his daughter Diana finds out Charles is legal father as her birth father is John Blackwell. Ironically John had a run in with Charles trying to make amends for Elizabeth's death, but Charles still shows bitterness of this this as John took away his daughter's mother and his wife. Also he tells John he'll follow him in "blind" faith like he when was a teenager. Later he he killed Jane by accident with a Witch Cruid which John Blackwell switched he left Charles alive as he still had a "use for him". In Traitor, Diana informed him she is not his biological daughter, but John's. Charles is seen shaken by this, but tells Diana he was her father from the moment he first held her in his arms and nothing will change that. He also warns her to keep away from Blackwell which she promises she'll do that. Later he gets in a confront with John punching him in a bar telling he's taking Diana away from Chance Harbor, but mostly him. As Diana is the only "good thing in his life". But Dawn convince him to stay because if he goes anywhere Diana and the circle are still bound. In Prom, John Blackwell releases a curse (assumed to be like how he did to Jake to the person he murdered to haunt him) on Charles. When Dawn called, the phone seem to have a voice. Charles heard Cassie voice, and assume it is her, but then he realized that it is Amelia. Then suddenly the stove's fire begin to fire and water everywhere. Suddenly big flames start, and Charles murmur that he was so sorry. John Blackwell stops. Later on when Diana came, he confess that he killed Amelia.
In Family , Charles "sacrifices" himself and performs a chant to gather Eben 's demon inside him, which allows Jake Armstrong to kill Eben. At the end of Family , Kate Meade performs a spell to petrify Charles to trap the demons inside him (like Amelia Blake did to Heather Barnes).
Charles was first shown as a relentless, calculating and methodical man who wants his power back just as much as Dawn does. He was able to orchestrate Cassie's arrival in Chance Harbor through the death of her mother, which he himself made possible. He isn't above threatening people when they stand in his way. However, when he was forced to kill Nick Armstrong to purge the demon inside him, a notable change in him starts to happen.
Since then, he abandoned his previous objectives. When Dawn wouldn't change her ways, he refused to join forces with her once again and chose to deal with things alone. It is because of this that they were seen fighting for the possession of the only source of power they once had - crystals. As the series went on, he has shown how much he loves his step-daughter, even if he finally realizes that she wasn't his. In the end, he decides to regain his power once more, not for himself, but for his step-daughter and her Circle, even if he had to sacrifice himself in the end.
Powers and Abilities
Charles is an exceptionally talented witch, known to have cast powerful spells as the series went on. He used the borrowed power from the crystal to kill Amelia Blake, temporarily drown Ethan Conant, save Dawn's life, manipulate Jane's memories and immobilize John Blackwell even for a brief moment. Even when he regained his powers after so many years, he used his powers effectively by drawing out the demons from Eben's body by himself.
- Channeling: The act of drawing or summoning other forms of energy, by focusing on the magic of another witch.
- Conjuration: The act of calling, commanding, or summoning an element, object, person, or spirit already in existence.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling or manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, water, and weather. Though not proven false or accurate, witches are believed to possess an unique affinity to particular elements which grants them greater mastery and control when performing
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events by magical influence. Spells are the most common method exerted by witches to focus their magic. Spells can range from simple commands to a series of words.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and persons.
- Witches Brew: The act of brewing and concocting magical elixirs and potions that contain mystical properties.
Notes and Trivia
- Diana Meade believes Dawn Chamberlain is dating Charles and it was suggested by Kate Meade that Charles had a crush on Dawn when they were teenagers.
- Diana is his legal daughter since he's named the father on her birth certificate because its implied Elizabeth kept the affair secret from him, but other people knew John had a other kid. However don't not of her identity as implied.
- It's unknown if Charles ever heard of "The Other Blackwell" or that is Diana who he been raising on his own until Diana told him in Traitor.
- Charles has mention to Dawn he doesn't believe in killing a child an first example of this was shown in Pilot when he blew out Cassie Blake's tires sparing her from going to home where he was going kill her mother Amelia Blake, but this was part of the plan to get Cassie to live in Chance Harbor, Washington to complete the current circle and Dawn's plan. However in Slither he had to kill Possessed Nick Armstrong when the demon Abaddon took him over. In the next episode Wake, Charles mention to Dawn "No one should ever kill a child" however Dawn waves him down telling they couldn't take a risk. However her words have shown visibly upset him and Charles is shown to have remorse over this during the remander of the season.
- To point where he told Dawn he calls all shots from now on mostly likely to keep another tragedy like Nick happening in the future.
- Although Charles had a cameo at the end of Masked, he wasn't played by Gale Harold.
- Charles killed Cassie's family members. Amelia in the Pilot and Jane in Crystal, but Jane's death was an accident since John Blackwell turned the tables on him. Where Amelia's death was planed in advance to get her daughter Cassie in town to complete the circle.
|This gallery shows four pictures, randomly selected, related to the subject of this article.|
A more complete gallery can be found here. Any future additions should be added there as well.
|Antagonists of Season 1|
|Dawn Chamberlain · Charles Meade · Zachary Larson · Heather Barnes · Abaddon · Melissa Glaser · Nick Armstrong · Simone · Isaac · Ian · Luke · Jake Armstrong · Eben · Nidaros Coven · Lucy Gibbons · Callum · Eva · John Blackwell · Samuel|