Jake Armstrong (born October 8, 1992) is the older brother of Nick Armstrong, the son of Richard Armstrong, and Sara Armstrong, the grandson of Royce Armstrong, the boyfriend of Faye Chamberlain, a former witch-hunter, and also a member of the Chance Harbor Circle.
Charming and devilishly handsome, Jake joined a dedicated group of Witch Hunters known as "The True Believers" after leaving Chance Harbor and developed hatred toward witchcraft, swearing to kill all witches in his hometown. He was later known for his feelings towards Cassie and helped her escape from the witch hunters who captured her, only to sail away afterwards. He later returned to protect Cassie, and became an official member of the Circle.
Jake is a member of the Armstrong Family.
Jake was born on October 8, 1992, to Sara and Richard Armstrong, according to the episode Crystal. Almost two years later his little brother, Nick, was born on August 29, 1994. When he was a few years old, he snuck into his parents car unaware they would later be killed that day. He escaped the boat fire that day and started to block the memory of what he saw and what happened. In his teens he worked at the Boathouse Bar and Grill until he stole money, for which Adam holds a grudge against him. He also dated Faye Chamberlain, leaving her heart broken. He left Chance Harbor and joined "The True Believers", a witch hunter club, after discovering he was a witch. He was not close to Nick when he left and later came back only after Nick had been killed by Charles.
Jake is a loner very much like Cassie was before coming to Chance Harbor, but also according to Jane Blake "a troubled young man". Jake doesn't care about what anyone thinks of him, more particularly Adam and his girlfriend Faye. The first person he is shown to care about is Cassie, even to the extent of betraying Isaac and the witch hunters. He strangely didn't grieve when his brother Nick died and his lack of emotion surprised Melissa. It's suggested his apathy is due to Jake's belief that "emotion leaves the door open to unwanted emotions such as grief, sadness and possibly love". He hides his real feelings behind his secondary emotions as noted by Faye who knows him the best.
It's shown and mentioned his hatred of witchcraft. Isaac convinced him that witchcraft is what killed his parents, which led him to follow "The True Believers". When Cassie helps him access his blocked memories, Jake discovers that Witch Hunters set the fire at the Boatyard. He now wants nothing more than vengeance against the people he once felt he could trust.
Jake has blue eyes and sandy blonde hair like his mother Sara Armstrong, but also resembles his father in someways most notably putting his hands in his pockets. Jake also has an athletic body.
Powers and Abilities
"You have been a great asset."
— Isaac to Jake, about the usefulness of his powers.
Because Jake joined the circle after the binding ceremony, he can do circle magic and at the same time retain his individual power. The full extents of Jake's powers are unknown but it is known that he has more knowledge about witchcraft than the rest of his circle because he trained for two years before the other members discovered they were witches. He also has a lot of knowledge on how to fight and kill other witches he learned from the Witch Hunters. He knows how to mark people to track them down.
- Channeling: The act of drawing or summoning other forms of energy, by focusing on the magic of another witch.
- Conjuration: The act of calling, commanding, or summoning an element, object, person, or spirit already in existence.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling or manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, water, and weather. Though not proven false or accurate, witches are believed to possess an unique affinity to particular elements which grants them greater mastery and control when performing.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events by magical influence. Spells are the most common method exerted by witches to focus their magic. Spells can range from simple commands to a series of words.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and persons.
- Witches Brew: The act of brewing and concocting magical elixirs and potions that contain mystical properties.
Main Article: Jake Armstrong/Relationships
Jake is the medival variant of Jack. It is also sometimes used as a short form of Jacob.
- Jack is derived from Jackin (earlier Jankin), a medieval diminutive of John. It is often regarded as an independent name. During the Middle Ages it was very common and it became a slang word meaning "man".
- It was frequently used in fairy tales and nursery rhymes, such as 'Jack and the Beanstalk', 'Little Jack Horner', and 'Jack Sprat'.
- American writers Jack London (1876-1916) and Jack Kerouac (1922-1969) were two famous bearers of this name.
- Jacob comes from the Latin Iacobus, which was from the Greek lakobos, which was from the Hebrew name Ya'aqov.
- In the Old Testament, Jacob (later called Israel) is the son of Isaac and Rebecca and the father of the twelve founders of the twelve tribes of Israel. He was born holding his twin brother Esau's heel, and his name is explained as meaning "holder of the heel" or "supplanter".
- Other theories claim that it is in fact derived from a hypothetical name like Ya'aqov'el meaning "may God protect".
- The English names Jacob and James derive from the same source, with James coming from Latin Iacomus, a later variant of Iacobus. Unlike English, many languages do not have seperate spellings for the two names.
- In England, Jacob was mainly regarded as a Jewish name during the Middle Ages, though the variant James was used among Christians. Jacob came into general use as a Christian name after the Protestant Reformation.
- A famous bearer was Jacob Grimm (1785-1863), the German linguist and writer who was, with his brother Wilhelm, the author of 'Grimm's Fairy Tales'.
- The slang meaning "excellent, fine" is from 1914, American English, of unknown origin.
- His last name, Armstrong mMeans "strong arm" from the Old English earm and strang. It is said that the armour bearer to a King of Scots acquired this name after he rescued the monarch on a battlefield when the King's horse was killed under him. Because of his strength, he was known as Armstrong. A famous peron who also has this last name was Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon.
Notes and Trivia
- Jake's powers are not bound to the Circle since he was not there when the Circle bound their powers. However, his bloodline is still bound to them, which allows him to use their Circle magic after Nick's passing.
- Jake had already found his family Book of Shadows before the rest of the circle even found out they were witches.
- Jake is a character purely created for the show and who doesn't have any equivalent in the books, unlike Melissa Glaser, who actually is a character inspired and created out of three different characters from the books.
- Jake and his dad share a habit of putting their hands in their jacket's pockets.
- Jake seems as the typical 'bad boy' type who is very hard to read. But along the story, we find out that there is a whole lot more to him.
- Though his character does not exist in the books, he falls in love with Cassie, like Nick Armstrong (his brother) did in the books.
- He and his current girlfriend, Faye Chamberlain, are the only two Circle members to be seen as young children on the show. Jake in Witness and Faye in Beneath.
- Jake is one of the two known remaining members of the Armstrong family.
- His zodiac sign is Libra (Sept 23-Oct 23). Libra's symbol is the scales, its element is air, and its ruling planet is Venus. Libra is most compatible with someone who is either Gemini or Aquarius.
|This gallery shows four pictures, randomly selected, related to the subject of this article.|
A more complete gallery can be found here. Any future additions should be added there as well.
|Antagonists of Season 1|
|Dawn Chamberlain · Charles Meade · Zachary Larson · Heather Barnes · Abaddon · Melissa Glaser · Nick Armstrong · Simone · Isaac · Ian · Luke · Jake Armstrong · Eben · Nidaros Coven · Lucy Gibbons · Callum · Eva · John Blackwell · Samuel|