Nicholas "Nick" Armstrong is a dark and mysterious 16-year-old boy who resides in New Salem with his family. Nick is the only child of Nicholas Armstrong and Sharon Armstrong. After Cassie Blake's arrival, he instantly becomes attracted to her, which sparks rivalry between him and Adam. Throughout the series, Cassie shows affections towards Nick as she finds kindness and love inside of him.
At the beginning and middle of this book Nick is very quite and keeps to himself. He never voices any of his opinions unless to Adam about their feud with each other. Nick is said to have an arrangement with Faye.
Nick was once called 'a rock', a cold rock who lacked emotions. Except anger. All until he met Cassie, she brought out the emotions and the truth about how his parents died.
Nick was described to be attractive in an icy cold way: his face was as handsome as a perfectly carved ice sculpture, his dark hair showed glints of blue whenever it was caught by the light, and he had eyes that were as brown as polished mahogany. He was also tall, broad-shouldered, and muscular.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Standard witch powers
- Spell Casting
- Witches Brew
- Power over ice
Father: Nicholas Armstrong
Mother: Sharon Armstrong
He had an 'agreement' with Faye Chamberlain, according to Faye in the beginning of The Initiation.
Ex-Girlfriend: Cassie Blake
- Nick is a short form of Nicholas.
- Nicholas is from the Greek name Nikolaos which means "victory of the people". It is made of Greek nike meaning "victory" and laos meaning "people".
- Saint Nicholas was a 4th-century bishop from Anatolia who, according to legend, saved the daughters of a poor man from lives of prostitution. He is the patron saint of children, sailors and merchants, as well as Greece and Russia. He formed the basis for the figure known as Santa Claus (created in the 19th century from Dutch Sinterklaas), the bringer of Christmas presents.
- Due to the renown of saint Nicholas, this name has been widely used in the Christian world. It has been common in England since the 12th century, though it became a bit less popular after the Protestant Reformation.
- The name Nicholas has been borne by five popes and two czars of Russia.
- Nicolas Flamel was a successful French scrivener and manuscript-seller. After his death Flamel developed a reputation as an alchemist. Legends say that Flamel succeeded at the goal of Alchemy: to make the Philosopher's Stone. According Alchemy, the Philosopher's Stone had the power to turn base metals into gold and to give immortality through the "Elixir of Life". However, these legendary accounts only appeared in the seventeenth century.
- His last name, Armstrong means "strong arm" from the Old English earm and strang. It is said that the armour bearer to a King of Scots acquired this name after he rescued the monarch on a battlefield when the King's horse was killed under him. Because of his strength, he was known as Armstrong. A famous peron who also has this last name was Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon.